Nexgard Flea Tick Chewable For Dogs
Nexgard is a beef flavored chewable tablet that kills fleas and ticks found on dogs. This new formulation created a revolution by being the first chewable tablets that kills both fleas and ticks. Moreover, it also treats American dog tick, Brown dog tick, Lone star tick and Black-legged tick. A monthly treatment, it starts killing fleas within 8 hours and destroys 100% adult fleas within 24 hours and ticks within 48 hours of administration. Its continuous activity for four weeks keeps killing adult fleas before they lay eggs and thus prevents future infestations.
How does it work?
NexGard contains Afoxolaner as the active ingredient. This never used before ingredient kills fleas and ticks by over-stimulating their nervous system. The ingredient mixes with the pet’s blood stream in 8 hours. When fleas or ticks bite the treated pet’s skin they consume this deadly killer and die due to hyper-excitation of nervous system. The ingredient remains active throughout the month and keeps destroying new fleas and ticks found on the pet’s body.
This new age treatment breaks the flea life cycle by killing fleas before egg production. This way, it reduces flea population by eliminating existing fleas as well as reducing egg production. It is highly effective in killing and controlling American dog ticks, deer ticks and lone star ticks.
Kindly note that as Merial is now part of Boehringer Ingelheim, the manufacturer’s name may differ on the product packs according to the stock availability.
Important Note: Please consult your vet before buying this product. Dogs with a history of seizure should only be treated after consulting a vet.
- 89% dogs take this soft beef flavored chewable as a treat
- Easy to use oral treatment that poses no issues of residue, staining and drying
- Fast treatment that starts action within 8 hours of administration
- Also effective against American dog tick, Brown dog tick, Lone star tick and Black-legged tick
- Destroys 100% adult fleas within 24 hours and ticks within 48 hours
- Remains active for one month
- Can be clubbed with other heartworm medicines, anthelmintics etc
- Afoxolaner dosage varies in accordance with the weight of the pet. The ideal administration dosage is 2.7-6.9 mg/Kg bodyweight. NexGard chewable tablets are available in four different color-coded packs. Weigh your pet first and choose the relevant package. Check the dosage table for details.
- Give the tablet by directly placing it in the pet’s mouth. If the pet resists taking the tablet directly then mix it with his food. Monitor that the pet completes his food to confirm the consumption of entire dosage of NexGard. Repeat every month, if possible then on the same date.
Dosage table for NexGard:
|Dog Weight||Pack Color||No. of tablets||Tablet strength (mg Afoxolaner)|
|2-4 Kg||Orange||One||11.3 mg|
|4.1-10 Kg||Blue||One||28.3 mg|
|10.1-25 Kg||Purple||One||68.0 mg|
|25.1-50 Kg||Red||One||136.0 mg|
|>50 Kg||Give appropriate combination of tablets|
Mediworm for Dogs 1 tablet per 10 kg (22 lbs)is used.
- Up to 2 kg (4.4 lbs) = 1/4 tab
- 2 to 5 kg (11 lbs) = 1/2 tab
- 5 to 10 kg (22 lbs)= 1 tab
- 10 to 20 kg (44 lbs) = 2 tabs
- 20 to 30 kg (66 lbs) = 3 tabs
- 30 to 40 kg (88 lbs) = 4 tabs
- 40 to 50 kg (110 lbs) = 5 tabs
Safety of NexGard on breeding, pregnant and lactating dogs has not been established yet. If your pet is going through any of these stages then take vet’s advice before starting the use of this chewable. In such cases, the tablets can be given only after benefit/risk assessment done by a veterinarian.
- NexGard is formulated only for dogs. Do not give to any other species of domesticated animals.
- Keep away from children.
- Take veterinarian advice for pets having a history of seizures or epilepsy.
- Do not give to pets allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Adhere to the label instructions. Do not overdose.
- Do not use after expiry date mentioned on the label.
- Store at temperature below 30°C (86°F).
- Possibility of side effects is very rare but hypersensitive pets may face side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, dry or flaky skin, lethargy, loss of appetite etc. Consult a vet if the pet shows any of these signs.
- Wash hands after administering the chewable tablet.
- Safe use of Nexgard in pregnant, lactating or breeding dogs has not been evaluated.
Do not use in dogs who have a history of muscle tremors, seizures and ataxia without your vet's advice.
When can I start administering NexGard for dogs?
It can be started any time of the year and continued in all seasons. For heavily infested areas, use it across the year. If you have more than one pet then you must treat all of them with relevant flea treatments.
What should I discuss with my vet before starting the treatment?
Take vet’s advice for checking your pet’s sensitivity towards any of the ingredients of NexGard. This will reduce chances of adverse reactions. Seek vet’s advice if you plan to breed your pet or if your pet has a history of seizures. Vet advice is a must if your pet is pregnant or lactating.
What is the best way to administer NexGard?
According to a study, 89% of dogs love the taste of this chewable and takes it directly in the mouth. It can be given with or without food. If the pet resists the tablet then mix it with his food like other medicines. Repeat every month preferably on the same date.
What are the possible side effects of NexGard?
Chances of side effects are very rare. But, hypersensitive pets may face adverse reactions like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, flaky or dry skin, loss of appetite etc. Consult a vet on observing any adverse reactions in your pet.
Can I club NexGard with other treatments?
It can be clubbed with heartworm treatments only after your vet’s advice.
|Target species||8 weeks and older puppies and dogs weighing at least 2 Kgs|
|Mode of administration||Oral|
|Manufacturer||Merial / Boehringer Ingelheim|
How Does Nexgard Chewables Work?
Nexgard contains active substance afoxolaner, which acts as an 'ectoparasiticide'. This ingredient kills parasites that live on or in the skin or in the fur of animals, such as fleas, ticks, and mites.
Is Nexgard Used For Mange?
Nexgard is approved for the treatment of the sarcoptic mange. When given monthly, it controls further infestations.
Why Does My Dog Still Have Fleas After Nexgard?
Nexgard over-stimulate the nervous system of fleas resulting in hyper-excitation, due to this you may see fleas rise to the top of your dog’s coat and appear more visible before they die.
Is Nexgard Safe For My Dog?
When used as directed, Nexgard has been shown to be safe and effective in various breeds of dogs including Collie breed. However, adverse reactions are rarely observed but may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, in-appetence (loss of appetite), itching, and very rarely seizures. Use with caution in dogs with a history of epilepsy or any other seizure disorder.
Does Nexgard Need To Be Given With Food?
NexGard does not need to be given with food. Pet owners can choose to give the chew at any time that suits them – with or without a meal.
Still Have Questions? – Please email us your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help you.
I used them once and it took a while to ship to Florida but worth the wait. I used them again and it didnt ship within the 21 days due to covid. They sent me an email asking if I wanted to cancel my order. I hit yes and done. Money was deposited about a week later. Would recommend!
Affordable and effective for our furry friends. I have used this for months and never had any complaints about this product.
Best effective and affordable flea and tick treatment for our four-legged buddies.
I am really happy with Nexgard treatment.
Nexgard helps reduce flea population. Its great.