Heartgard Plus Chewables for Dogs - Heartworm Prevention
Heartgard Plus are beef flavored tasty chewables with anthelmintic properties. They are used for treating roundworms and hookworms and for preventing heartworms in dogs. The monthly treatment saves the pet from heartworm diseases by destroying the tissue stage of heartworm larvae. It may not suit border collies due to the presence of Ivermectin in it.
How it works?
Heartgard Plus are beef flavored chewables for preventing heartworms found in puppies and dogs. The monthly administered tasty chewables treat heartworm infection by killing tissue stage of the heartworm larvae. Available for all sizes of dogs, these tablets protect the pet from all kinds of heartworm diseases.
Ivermectin and Pyrantel are the active ingredients that act as perfect heartworm preventives and destroy immature stages of heartworms. The tablets with anthelmintic properties are also an effective treatment for killing and controlling roundworms and hookworms.
Nuheart is a generic alternative of Heartgard. With the same effectiveness of Heartgard, the oral chew protects dogs from harmful heartworm disease. It contains Ivermectin, which effectively destroys heartworm larvae and prevents the parasitic infestation. This generic version is safe for puppies 6 weeks of age and older.
Kindly note that as Merial is now part of Boehringer Ingelheim, the manufacturer’s name may differ on the product packs according to the stock availability.
- Get your pet tested for existing heartworm infection before you start the Heartgard Plus prevention program.
- If the pet is not infected by heartworms then start administering Heartgard Plus on a monthly basis. Give the tablet in accordance with the weight of the pet.
- On missing a monthly dosage, resume the treatment immediately by giving the tablet. You can also break down the tablet into pieces for ease of swallowing.
- Remove the tablet from the pack only at the time of administration. Keep away from the pet’s eyes.
Treat at 2, 4, 8 and 12 weeks of age. From 3 months, it is recommended that dogs should be dewormed every 3 months regularly to control worm infections.
- Before starting Heartgard Plus tablets, it is important to get the pet tested for existing heartworm infection.
- Chewing the tablet is beneficial than swallowing it.
- Administer tablets at every month for a year round protection.
- Do not administer to pets sensitive to the ingredients. Collie breed are more sensitive to the effects of ivermectin administered at elevated dose levels. It is safe to use in collies when used as recommended by the label.
- Do not skip the monthly dosage, as there are chances of pets catching heartworm infections.
- Consult a vet if the dosage is missed for a period of more than 2 months.
- Store in a cool and dark place away from sunlight.
- Avoid contact with the pet’s eyes while administering the tablet.
- Wash hands with soap and water after giving the tablet.
Do not use on dogs younger than 6 weeks of age.
Caution:Collies including Border Collies and other breeds have genetic intolerance to Ivermectin. Those pet owners with Collies and other susceptible breeds should look for alternatives to Ivermectin for the treatment of parasites.