Feline dermatitis also commonly known as Miliary dermatitis or scabby cat disease is not a disease actually but a combination of various signs that builds a condition in cats. Red rashes in the areas of head, neck and back describes the dermatitis where the cats keep on scratching and itching extensively.
The name Miliary is derived from the word lesions that are observed on the body of the cats. The term also resembles the millet seeds. The rash developed on the cat’s skin turn into lesions with scabs on them.
The common causes of feline dermatitis or military dermatitis are:
- Flea bites: Maximum of the dermatitis cases are due to the reason of flea bites. One flea is enough to spread this kind of skin condition, a bunch of fleas are not required.
- Allergies: Allergens such as dust or pollens, food allergies, allergy due to an insect bite such as that of mosquito are responsible causes.
- Ringworms: Fungal infection on the skin leads to lesions spread due to these worms.
- Bacterial infections
- Reaction to a treatment
- Yeast infections
The signs that lead us to Miliary Dermatitis are:
- Formation of scabs
- Red Bumps
- Extensive itching and scratching
- Loss of hair near the affected area
- Licking off the affected area
The treatment of the feline dermatitis skin condition or military dermatitis includes the following points:
- First and the foremost treatment must be that of fleas present in the environment that possess a threat to your pretty feline’s health. For the treatment of fleas, you can use various products and treatments such as Frontline Plus for cats, Nexgard, Bravecto etc.
- After the fleas are controlled only 20% chances are there that, your cat may develop skin issues. So, the next step is to remove bacterial, fungal and yeast infections which are other major harm to the cat’s health. Intestinal worms must be eliminated that are present in the felines to provide them a happy and healthy life. There are several medications that kills the intestinal parasites like.
- Switch to hypo allergic diet if the cause is food allergy.
- Provide a good environment for your kitty.
So, take care of your kitty’s skin and give her plenty time and attention..!