Do you just run away when you see someone you hate coming to initiate a conversation? Pets also behave the same way when they hear the crinkle of the pill package. It can be a daunting task to administer pills to your dogs or cats every day. But, as a pet parent, we very well know that how important it is to serve our pets with treatments in the form of pills such as Capstar, Program, Mediworm, Comfortis, and Drontal in order to either treat or prevent them from fleas, ticks, and worms. Pill pockets are real saviors from this dreaded task of making your pet consume pills. But, buying pill pockets every time from the store can be expensive.
So, we have come up with some interesting DIY pill pocket that can be way convenient and easier to make at home. Here are some pill pocket recipes that you can take a look on.
Peanut Butter Pill Pockets
- Combine milk, peanut butter and flour in a bowl.
- Mix well and after it comes together, knead it with your hands to complete the process.
- Divide the dough into small pieces and roll it into a ball.
- Take the balls and make the holes with a spoon or an end of a pencil to push a small hole and create an identity for the pills.
- Store it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
Chicken Pill Pockets
- Take a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of any flavored meat broth that your pet likes such as pork, chicken, beef, etc.
- Add two tablespoons of chicken powder to the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and combine the ingredients to a dough form.
- Form the dough into balls depending on the size of the pill that needs to be administered to your pet.
- Create a small hole in the middle of each pill pocket either with the end of pencil or thermometer
- Store it in the refrigerator.
Other Foods That Make Best Pill Pockets
Hot Dog Pieces
Using hot dog pieces as pill pockets for pets is easy. You just need to cut a piece of your hot dog off and use it to put the pill in. Ensure that the piece should be large enough to hide the pill but small enough for your dog to eat it in one gulp.
The chicken hearts or turkey hearts for dogs provide a natural opening in which you can insert the pill. Depending on the size of the pill, use scissors to cut the tube slightly and make a hole just big enough to allow you to push the pill into the heart ventricle.
Light Cream Cheese
Light cream cheese is the tasty ingredient for spreading around the pill if your dog is okay with small amounts of dairy.
Using pill pockets will be a fun part to feed pills to your dog as it will no more remain a dire task. You will be happy and relaxed that you are feeding your pet a pill and he will gulp it down without even realizing it.