When it comes to heartworm protection this old adage goes perfectly well. It is a way old tradition followed seriously and religiously by most dog owners to provide their dogs a heartworm free life.
One of the deadliest worm infection – heartworm has its own fatalities when they are left unchecked, ignored and untreated. However, with the awareness spread by Animal Humane society, veterinarians’ community and animal welfare communities, many pet owners are becoming aware of the prevailing dangers of heartworms. And thus, they are turning towards monthly heartworm treatments, putting their dogs on heartworm prevention and management program.
And, to help pet owners in their quest against this disease, a plethora of heartworm preventive medications play an impactful role. These preventives are highly effective in protecting the Fidos against heartworm infections. However, with so many products running in the market, it’s usually a tedious task to pick that right one that brings with it a lot more benefits along with fitting into your budget.
So, to help you choose the right one here is an excellent list to look into.
1) Nexgard Spectra – Widely Used Heartworm, Flea, Tick and Worm Treatment
Nexgard Spectra is one special tasty chew that provides complete protection against fleas, ticks, heartworm, and intestinal worms. This monthly treatment has an added advantage of controlling Lyme disease and flea allergy dermatitis. Safe for dogs and puppies over 8 weeks of age, Nexgard Spectra is also recommended for use in breeding males and females.
This beef-flavored chew is easy to administer and has no known side effects. Nexgard Spectra is most convenient than other treatments especially topical ones which projects the limitations of bathing and swimming after applications.
Major Benefits of Nexgard Spectra
- Kills fleas and ticks
- Controls heartworm disease
- Treats and controls roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms
- Eliminates paralysis ticks and control tick infestations
- Reduces the risk of Lyme disease
- Convenient to administer monthly treatment
- Controls flea allergic reaction
- Comes in a highly palatable tasty chew
What are the side effects of Nexgard Spectra for dogs?
Dry and flaky skin, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of energy are some of the side effects caused due to Nexgard Spectra. However, it is estimated that these signs wither away slowly in some time.
2) Heartgard Plus – Vet Recommended Heartworm Medication
The old classic heartworm preventive treatment – Heartgard Plus has a lot in its hold to deliver. Not only Ivermectin, but it is also adorned with the advantage of the powerful ingredient – Praziquantel, which safely eliminates the most common intestinal worms in dogs and puppies. With the power to destroy immature forms of heartworms known as microfilaria, Heartgard Plus safeguards dogs against heartworm disease when it is given regularly. The #1 vet recommended product – Heartgard Plus has proved to be the most effective heartwormer in the market till now.
Major Benefits of Heartgard Plus
- An effective anti-parasitic treatment
- Easy to administer chewable tablet
- Prevents heartworms
- Treats and controls roundworms and hookworms
- Once a month treatment
- Protects against heartworm disease
What are Heartgard Plus side effects?
Though they are rare side effects of using Heartgard Plus, vet usually recommends discussing with them if you’re considering using other drugs concurrently.
3) Revolution – A Broad Spectrum Five-in-One Parasitic Treatment
Revolution has its own myriad of benefits when it comes to treating a dog badly infested with internal and external veterinary parasites. Just one dose helps to protect against fleas and heartworms, treats and controls ear mite infestation and sarcoptic mange. The potent spot-on has its deadliest effect on tick infestations especially due to American dog ticks.
Major Benefits of Revolution
- Destroys adult fleas
- Prevents heartworm disease
- Controls American tick infestations
- Inhibits flea eggs from hatching
- Treats and controls ear mites
- Controls flea infestations
- Treats and prevents sarcoptic mange
- Quick-drying and non-greasy solution
- No unpleasant odor
What are the side effects of Revolution for dogs?
Though usage of Revolution is evaluated for a wide safety margin, it is recommended to ensure that the product does not go into eyes or mouth. It may cause irritation to eyes and skin.
4) NuHeart – Generic Heartgard
The generic to Heartgard – Nuheart is a highly effective heartwormer. From the house of Pharmachem, Nuhaert – generic heartgard is affordable. It eliminates the immature stages of heartworms and controls the onset of heartworm disease. Designed and developed with the same mechanism and ingredient as Heartgard – Ivermectin, Nuheart provides a high level of efficacy in protecting dogs against heartworms.
Major Benefits of Nuheart
- Protects dogs against heartworm infection
- Its small size makes it easy to administer with less rejection ratio
- Sweet meat flavor makes it highly palatable
- For difficult dogs, it can be dissolved quickly in a small amount of water and mixed in pet’s food
What are NuHeart side effects?
In rare cases, it has been noticed that some dogs may experience vomiting, lethargy, dehydration, lack of appetite, which can gradually recede given a couple of hours of rest. However, it is always to be on the safer side to talk to your vet in case your pet has any medical history or is currently on some medication. This helps the vet to provide you the right prescription.
5) Advantage Multi – An Advantageous Flea, Heartworm Preventive
Popularly known as Advocate world over, Advantage Multi comes with huge protection veil for dogs. This broad spectrum parasitic treatment is a convenient monthly spot-on. It not only prevents heartworm disease but also is capable of destroying intestinal worm infections caused due to roundworms, whipworms, and hookworms. This all-in-one easy to use application also kills existing adult fleas and treats flea infestations. The powerful combination of Imidacloprid and Moxidectin aids in the control of various external parasitic infections including sarcoptic mange.
Benefits of Advantage Multi (Advocate)
- Once-a-month application treatment
- Controls heartworm disease
- Kills adult fleas and treats flea infestations
- Prevents flea allergy dermatitis
- Treats immature stage of heartworms
- Treats and controls adult and immature stages of hookworms and roundworms
- Controls whipworm infection
- Treats and controls sarcoptic mange
What are Advantage Multi side effects?
Vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, salivation, poor appetite, lethargy, weakness, restlessness, agitation, and disorientation are some of the adverse events reported post-treatment in field studies. However, it is claimed that these side effects may be in the rarest cases and gradually settle down after some time.
Major Warning And Precautions Of Using Any Heartwormer For Your Dog
- When treating with heartwormers, it is strictly advised that heartwormers should be administered monthly throughout the year without any gaps.
- It is necessary to seek a vet’s advice regarding heartworm testing prior to treatment.
- Heartwormer should be used on dogs and puppies older than 8 weeks of age.
- If a monthly dose is missed or is late by more than 1 week, it is recommended to consult a vet before resuming the treatment.
Collies including border collies have genetic intolerance towards Ivermectin, which is the common ingredient found in most heartwormers. Therefore, the pet owners of collies and other susceptible breeds should look for alternatives to Ivermectin for controlling heartworm infection.